Sunday, May 20, 2012

TooToo Much of a good thing!

Too Much of a good thing!
Yeah, I suppose there can be too much of a good thing.
Each time I come back to the land of my birth here in the Philippines, I am not far from a wedding, a funeral and many birthdays and anniversaries. I guess it's the huge family network that is present here.
Because of that, one is not far from many of life's events.
Each time I blog on here, it's one banquet after another.

Even at funeral wakes, they serve a good spread. It's a tradition and it's a 24 hour marathon that can last a week with relatives and friends coming and going. It's a somber occasion to be sure, but it is a tradition to serve guests some good food even while visiting a dead loved one. (Perhaps we got this tradition from the Chinese --at least we no longer leave a plate of food for the deceased.)

The truth is, the parties I or my own household hosts are only few --maybe once or twice a month at best.
But if you know 20 other households who also host parties at least once a month, you do end up going to a party 3 times a week, every week. It can be dizzying and it can lead to a lot of overeating (especially in my case).

Yesterday and today are back to back occasions. Yesterday is a wedding feast and today is a grand aunt's birthday (she is 87). A busload of relatives came in force. There was a huge roasted pig. It's a common dish during parties here. The way it is roasted is soft on the inside, crispy on the outside. I got a plateload of tenderloin as soon as people began carving into it. The crispy skin always goes first.
A good pair of days.
Soon, I'll be back in Texas with my beloved home on wheels.

Tomorrow, I'll go to the clinic to have a blood checkup. Hopefully, the damage won't be so bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment